29 July 2008

When the ship goes down, you better be ready.


What a day. I say 29 miles away from the epicenter of an earthquake is also exactly as close as I ever want to be to one. I went from feeling incredibly dizzy to realizing it was the earth moving in a split second. And I was out the door.

At first I thought "OK, OK. What do I do...stand in a door way." But then I realized I'm on the sixth floor. A door way won't do much good if the floor under your feet is also the roof over someone's head. So I, along with maybe 20 people, took the stairs and met up outside.

One guy, a former marine, was watching a war movie at the time. "Man, I've been to Afghanistan. I was like, going for my uniform before I realized what was going on."

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure my heart was going to stay in my chest. "Oh fuck, oh fuck!" is exactly what I remember saying aloud while I put my hands out in front of me and tried to figure out what to do.

The people that gathered around clearly were not from California. Most people stayed in the building like nothing happened. I think the old man in the apartment next to me may have got up from his lazy boy to grab a beer. That's all he could muster. Ah well, he's old school, he was willing to go down with the ship.

No comments: